Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Stone of Names - April Status Report

My manuscript is currently in the hands of several beta test readers (thanks everyone!) and I'm braced for incoming feedback. I'm hoping to have this phase of review and edits completed by the end of the month, at which point it will be time to start looking for an agent.

I have no idea what to expect on the agent front. While this will certainly be my most polished book to date, and while it may actually be good, I can't tell if it's commercially viable -- in other words, will readers want to buy it? This depends on a number of arcane business factors and is probably only something an agent will be able to tell me.

I have an idea for two sequels to this book, but I'm not sure if I want to keep writing about these characters or try something different for a while. If the subject material starts to bore me, I'm sure the final results won't be as good. On the other hand, I expect that producing multiple books around the same characters is a good move from a business point of view. Each book would serve as an advertisement for the other books, and someone who likes the initial book would be more likely to want the rest.

I currently have plenty of editing work to do on Stone of Names, so it's too soon to start the next project in any case. So for now, I'll just keep polishing the manuscript, and dream of seeing my book cover on the shelves at the local bookstore...

No comments:

Post a Comment