Monday, March 11, 2013

Sim Neo-Tokyo

I didn't buy the new Sim City, but I did buy Diablo 3, so I know exactly what the would-be Sim City players are going through. I think this is another excellent reason to quit rewarding the big game studios and start supporting the smaller developers, but I'm not planning to post a Sim City rant here.

I like city-building games in general, but the game I want hasn't been written yet, so far as I can tell. What I want is a city-builder that lets me build Mega City One or Neo-Tokyo. I want a game that puts me in charge of a failing near-future metropolis, where I must curry the favor of global mega-corporations so that they will build offices and factories in my city, provide revenue for my treasury, and provide employment for my citizens. I want to send paramilitary city security teams into the slums to root out heavily-armed gangs. I want to clean up the wreckage of an inter-corporation shooting war that wiped out several blocks of my commercial district. I want to employ all of the varied tools of a well-equipped police state to root out hackers, terrorists, and free-thinkers. I want to sit in front of my monitor and gaze down at a smog-filled skyline of corporate ziggurats and overcrowded tenements.

I've heard that SimCity: Societies allows you to build a cyberpunk-style city, but I've also heard that it's not a very good game, so I haven't bothered running down a copy. Tropico 4 actually seems to be spiritually similar to what I'm looking for, but I'd prefer something with a mega-urban, Blade Runner sort of look and feel.

I'll just add it to the list of games I'd like to build when I have the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment